News

Valerie Hemingway to deliver a talk, "The Importance of Knowing Ernest: Lessons on Life and Literature I Learned from Papa,” October 11, 2016

Valerie Danby-Smith was a nineteen-year-old Irish reporter when she met literary giant Ernest Hemingway in Madrid in 1959. He immediately hired her as his secretary and she travelled with him through Spain and France and became a confidante to him and his wife, Mary. She lived with the Hemingways in Cuba and typed the manuscript for A Moveable Feast.  After Ernest’s death, she married his son, Gregory.

In this talk, Valerie Hemingway will discuss her memoir, Running With the Bulls: My Years With the Hemingways, and provide her insider’s perspective on Hemingway as a man and writer. This lecture, “The Importance of Knowing Ernest: Lessons on Life and Literature I Learned from Papa,” will be held on Tuesday, October 11, 5:30pm, in the Sanders Classroom Building, Spitzer Auditorium (room 212). Sponsored by the Department of English, this event is free and open to the public.

Author Norman Mailer called Running With the Bulls “one of the best books on Hemingway that I have read, and it has material to be found nowhere else.” 

A freelance writer who has worked for Newsweek and Publishers Weekly, Valerie Hemingway now lives in Bozeman, Montana.

Vassar College strives to make its events, performances, and facilities accessible to all. Individuals with disabilities requiring special accommodations must contact the Office of Campus Activities at least 48 hours in advance of an event, Mondays-Fridays, at (845) 437-5370. Without sufficient notice, appropriate space/and or assistance may not be available. For detailed information about accessibility to specific campus facilities, search for “campus accessibility information” on the Vassar homepage (http://www.vassar.edu).

Directions to the Vassar campus, located at 124 Raymond Avenue in Poughkeepsie, NY, are available at www.vassar.edu/directions.

Vassar College is a highly selective, coeducational, independent, residential liberal arts college founded in 1861.

Posted by Office of Communications Wednesday, September 28, 2016