News

Message from the chair of the Board of Trustees, regarding presidential search

Dear members of the Vassar community,

On behalf of the Board of Trustees, I am writing to you to follow up on President Catharine Hill’s announcement earlier today that she will conclude her presidency on June 30, 2017, so I can briefly explain the search process for her successor. 

I first want to thank President Hill for her exceptional service to the college.  We have been so fortunate to have her as president, and my board colleagues and I look forward to the work we will continue to do together over the coming 15 months, even as we begin a search for our next president.  I know you will join me and the board in celebrating her accomplishments, highlights of which are detailed in a press release issued today. 

The search process for the 11th president of Vassar will begin immediately.  In accordance with the Governance, a search committee will be formed this spring, to be comprised of seven members of the Board of Trustees, one of whom will be selected by the board to chair the committee, five members elected by the faculty, and two students selected by the Vassar Student Association, a total of 14 members.  The search committee is expected to hire a professional search firm, consult widely with various college constituencies concerning college priorities in its search for the next president, develop search materials, and conduct a search for candidates.  The search committee will nominate a single candidate to the Board of Trustees, which has sole authority to elect the president. 

The work of the search committee will begin this spring, and then continue over the summer and into the next academic year. The goal is to be able to announce a new president during the first quarter of 2017, with the appointment effective July 1, 2017.  The chair of the search committee and I will keep the community apprised of the committee’s progress. I am confident that we will identify an outstanding candidate to lead Vassar for years to come.

On behalf of the Board of Trustees, I want to thank each of you for all that you do for Vassar.  Superb presidential leadership is key to the college’s success, but that leadership cannot be successful without the hard work and support of our faculty, students, staff, alumnae/i, and parents.  I know I speak for Cappy and my fellow trustees in saying we value highly your contributions, and look forward to consulting with you and your representatives as we plan the next phase of Vassar’s future.

Very truly yours,

William A. Plapinger, ’74 P’10
Chair, Board of Trustees

Posted by Office of Communications Tuesday, March 29, 2016