News

Fourth annual A Day at Vassar opens the college and its beautiful campus to friends and neighbors in the Hudson Valley for a day of events, including lectures, art exhibits and a concert, October 18, 2014

For the fourth year, the college opens its doors—and its campus—to friends and neighbors in the Hudson Valley for A Day at Vassar.

This event takes place on Saturday, October 18. The schedule includes three periods of lectures (two before lunch and one in the afternoon) by distinguished members of Vassar’s faculty. Thirty lectures spanning the arts, humanities, and sciences will be offered, including some related to current news events. These lectures cover diverse topics from “The Origins of Writing: From the Sumerians to the Illiad” to “Sex and Gender: Differences Between Boys and Girls” to “Things to Know About Physics” and “Teaching Comics.” Last year, the event drew more than 600 participants.

“Vassar places great emphasis on being a good neighbor and a true part of the vibrant Hudson Valley community,” says President Catharine Bond Hill. “We are thrilled to offer this event for a fourth time, providing local residents with the opportunity to experience the college as our students do. It's also my hope that this event opens the door for our neighbors to attend the many lectures, concerts, performances and exhibitions happening on campus throughout the year.”

Robert Brigham, the Shirley Ecker Boskey Professor of History and International Relations at the college sums up the event. “Education is about the exchange of ideas. A Day at Vassar allows that exchange to take place with our larger community and that is something special." Brigham’s lecture this year is “America in a Dangerous World.”

Vassar alumna and associate professor of psychology Abigail Baird concurs. “This event is something I really look forward to every year because it communicates exactly what I was taught as an undergraduate here at Vassar: everyone should develop and nurture a life-long love affair with learning,” says Baird. “Every year I have participated I have had a class that contains all different kinds of people. As a teacher, it is a wonderful challenge to teach in a way that holds everyone's interest. I get some of the most interesting questions that provoke thoughtful discussions and those are the moments that enable me to really grow as an educator and researcher.”

A Day at Vassar also includes exhibition viewings at the Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center, the Thompson Memorial Library, the Palmer Gallery, and Ely Hall’s Warthin Museum of Geology and Natural History, as well as campus tours and a Music Department concert. An exhibition organized by the National Gallery of Art, Imperial Augsburg: Renaissance Prints and Drawings 1475-1540, is currently on view at the Loeb Art Center while the Palmer Gallery is showing the work of Poughkeepsie-based photographer Jorge Abel Santos.  The library is currently showing an exhibition on the most illustrated book of the 15th century, The Nuremberg Chronicle.

A Day at Vassar is $15 and includes lunch. Pre-registration is required by Tuesday, October 7. Participants must be 15 or older. Lunch is also available to registered participants.

For a schedule, course descriptions, and to register (required in advance), visit http://www.vassar.edu/day. On October 18 registrants should check in at Main Building’s Villard Room (second floor). Questions? Contact programs@vassar.edu.

Vassar is located at 124 Raymond Avenue in Poughkeepsie, NY, and directions to the campus can be found at http://www.vassar.edu/directions.

Vassar College is a highly selective, coeducational, independent, residential liberal arts college founded in 1861.

Posted by Office of Communications Friday, September 12, 2014