News

The paintings and drawings of Hudson Valley artist Lily Prince will be on exhibit at the Palmer Gallery from November 20 – December 19, 2013

Artist Lily Prince has created a body of watercolors, oil pastel drawings and oil paintings that will be shown at the Palmer Gallery November 20 – December 19.

The exhibit opens with an artist’s reception on November 20 from 5-7 pm in the gallery; live classical guitar music will be featured. This event and the exhibit are free and open to the public.

The show, aptly titled “Here, There and Everywhere,” features works inspired by various places Prince has visited as well as her home in the Hudson Valley. The pieces are abstract, but Prince begins her process outside with traditional landscape drawings en plein air. She then takes these pieces and uses them for information gathering to inform the larger works. A few works in this show are the result of Prince’s time in Italy during the summer on an artist’s residency. Prince’s work combines perception, memory, and aspiration in a cacophony of organic abstract mark making.

“Whenever I travel,” says Prince. “I draw. Whether it’s Florida, California or Italy, I like to draw in a new place to gather a repertoire of marks and patterns to create the larger works.”

Gallery director Teresa Quinn says it’s exciting to have a local artist exhibiting at the Palmer. “I had the great experience of going to Lily’s studio, which is a pristine space, and seeing these works simply hung on the walls. They were stunning.”

Based in Stone Ridge, Prince holds an MFA in painting from Bard College.

The Palmer Gallery is open daily from 11 am -6 pm, but calling ahead to the Office of Campus Activities is recommended.

Vassar College strives to make its events, performances, and facilities accessible to all. Individuals with disabilities requiring special accommodations must contact the Office of Campus Activities at least 48 hours in advance of an event, Mondays-Fridays, at (845) 437-5370. Without sufficient notice, appropriate space/and or assistance may not be available. For detailed information about accessibility to specific campus facilities, search for “campus accessibility information” on the Vassar homepage (http://www.vassar.edu).

Vassar is located at 124 Raymond Avenue in Poughkeepsie, NY, and directions to the campus can be found at http://www.vassar.edu/directions.

Vassar College is a highly selective, coeducational, independent, residential liberal arts college founded in 1861.

Posted by Office of Communications Wednesday, November 6, 2013