News

New admissions website garnered a Gold Award in the 43rd Annual University and College Designers Association (UCDA) competition

Vassar’s new admissions website garnered a Gold Award in the 43rd Annual University and College Designers Association (UCDA) competition in the digital media category.  Senior Web Designer Christopher Silverman, who led the design team, accepted the award on October 12 at the UCDA proceedings in Louisville, Kentucky.

There were over 1,000 entries in the competition, with 114 in the digital media category.  Only eight awards were given overall, and only two in the digital media category. The winning site can be viewed here.

The new site is improved in several significant ways, notably in greater adaptability for viewing on mobile devices. Larger, non-justified typography has enhanced legibility and photography plays a major role in the new design.

“Visually, one of my primary goals was making the site friendly and distinctive. Applying to schools can be a complex and intimidating process, and I wanted to avoid the impersonal overtones I noticed on other admissions sites,” says Silverman. “I selected typefaces with a clean, contemporary feel, emphasized space and color, and included illustrative elements where possible. I've also customized the designs for different page sections, to convey the information more distinctively and to reflect Vassar's unique character and diversity.”

The UCDA Design Competition recognizes the best of the exceptional design work done to promote educational institutions. Founded in 1970, UCDA was the nation’s first and only association for professionals involved in the creation of visual communications for educational institutions. Over the years, it has grown to an organization comprised of more than 1,000 members throughout the United States and Canada.

Vassar College is a highly selective, coeducational, independent, residential, liberal arts college founded in 1861.

Posted by Office of Communications Monday, October 14, 2013