News

This site is no longer updated.

Current Vassar news can be found at www.vassar.edu/news; otherwise you can browse recent archived news items.

Vassar and New York and Stage and Film present the world premiere of 1+1, written by Eric Bogosian and directed by Mark Brokaw, with Kelli Garner, Josh Hamilton, and Matthew Maher at the Powerhouse Theater. July 1 - July 13, 2008

POUGHKEEPSIE, NY -- Opening the mainstage of Vassar and New York Stage and Film’s 24th Powerhouse Theater season is the world premiere of 1+1 by Eric Bogosian, directed by Mark Brokaw, and featuring Kelli Garner, Josh Hamilton, and Matthew Maher, with thirteen performances to be presented July 1-July 13.

In the imponderable nature of relationships and human desire, does one plus one always equal two? Bogosian’s first production at the Powerhouse season explores themes of desire and greed, debating one’s responsibility to others, through the lives of a waitress aspiring to be an actress (Brianne), an assistant restaurant manager (Carl), and a photographer (Phil). 

Bogosian, the Drama Desk and Obie Award-winning author of Talk Radio, SubUrbia, and Sex, Drugs, Rock & Roll, said of the characters in his play “Bri, Phil, and Carl are based on people I’ve found intensely interesting my whole life: a good-looking hustler, an ambitious pretty girl, and a ‘good guy’ who always seems to finish last.” He continued, “The story is a parable. All my plays are. My plays are not expositions of a specific time and place. Rather, I try to find a way to set them so that the audience can immerse itself in a situation. I don’t have answers. I have questions.”

Of the Powerhouse production, Bogosian said, “This is a wonderful and genuine laboratory situation. The ingredients are of the highest quality: great cast, great director. I love the process of actors and directors figuring out what I’ve written. There’s nothing I enjoy more.”

NOTE: 1+1 is recommended for mature audiences only. Contains strong language and adult situations.

Evening and matinee performances of 1+1 will be held in the Powerhouse Theater on the Vassar campus, including a special post-show discussion on Tuesday, July 8, with the cast and Powerhouse artistic staff. Tickets for this mainstage production are $35, and can be ordered online at http://powerhouse.vassar.edu, or through the Powerhouse box office at (845) 437-5599 and (845) 437-7235.

Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodations at Vassar should contact the Office of Campus Activities at (845) 437-5370. Without sufficient notice, appropriate space and/or assistance may not be available.

ABOUT THE ARTISTS

Eric Bogosian (Playwright)

Eric Bogosian currently stars as Capt. Danny Ross on NBC’S Law and Order: Criminal Intent, but is perhaps best known for writing and starring in the play Talk Radio, for which he was a Pulitzer Prize finalist. Bogosian has written a number of full-length plays including subUrbia, Griller, Red Angel, and Humpty Dumpty. He is the author of two novels, Mall and Wasted Beauty and a novella, Notes from Underground.

Mark Brokaw (Director)

Broadway credits include Cry-Baby and the revivals of The Constant Wife (Roundabout) and Reckless (Manhattan Theatre Club / Second Stage).  He has also directed the New York premieres of Paula Vogel’s Pulitzer Prize-winning How I Learned To Drive and The Long Christmas Ride Home, Kenneth Lonergan’s Lobby Hero and This Is Our Youth, Craig Lucas’ The Dying Gaul, Douglas Carter Beane’s As Bees In Honey Drown, Lisa Kron’s 2.5 Minute Ride, and Lynda Barry’s The Good Times Are Killing Me.  His regional credits include the Sondheim Celebration at the Kennedy Center (A Little Night Music); Arthur Miller’s The Price, View From the Bridge and American Buffalo at the Gate Theatre in Dublin, Ireland; as well as the Guthrie, Mark Taper Forum, Steppenwolf Theatre, Seattle Rep, La Jolla Playhouse, Huntington, Long Wharf, Hartford Stage, Yale Rep, and Berkeley Rep.

Kelli Garner (Brianne)

Kelli Garner recently received critical acclaim for her role in Lars and the Real Girl, opposite Ryan Gosling, that received its premier at the 2007 Toronto Film Festival. Garner also appeared in Martin Scorcese’s Oscar® nominated film The Aviator opposite Leonardo DiCaprio and was dubbed Moviefone’s Rising Star. Garnner has also appeared in Return to Rajapur, Thumbsucker, Man of the House, Bully, Love Liza, and the independent features Dreamland and London. She also appeared in the Off-Broadway play Dog Sees God, directed by Trip Cullman.

Josh Hamilton (Phil)

Josh Hamilton’s New York theater credits include Coast of Utopia, Hurlyburly, Proof, This is our Youth, The Waverly Gallery, The Cider House Rules, As Bees in Honey Drown, Gone Home, SubUrbia, Evolution, and The Violet Hour at Steppenwolf. As part of the Sam Mendes-directed Bridge Project, a co-production of BAM and The Old Vic, Hamilton will be seen in both The Cherry Orchard and The Winter’s Tale. His film credits include Farlanders, Ten Stories Tall, Bourne Identity, With Honors, The House of Yes, and Urbania.  On television he has appeared in “The 60’s,” “Online,” and “Absolutely Fabulous.”

Matt Maher (Carl)

OBIE Award-winning actor Matthew Maher’s New York credits include, among others, Richard III, Coriolanus, The World Over, Molly’s Dream, and the Foundry Theater production of The Race of the Ark Tattoo, for which he received an OBIE Award. He is an associate artist of The Civilians and his regional credits include A Seagull In The Hamptons at the McCarter, and The Pillowman at Berkeley Rep, as well as appearances at Actor’s Theater of Louisville, Portland Stage, New Harmony, and the CT20 Ensemble, receiving a Joseph Jefferson Nomination for The Fair Maid of the West. Maher’s film credits include Gone Baby Gone, Jersey Girl, Dogma, Bringing Out The Dead, and on television he has a recurring role on HBO’s “John From Cincinnati,” and has been seen on “The Jury,” “Deadline,” and all three “Law and Order” series.

ABOUT POWERHOUSE

The Powerhouse program is the result of a unique partnership between Vassar College and New York Stage and Film. The program consists of an eight-week residency on the Vassar campus during which more than 200 professional artists and some 40 apprentices live and work together to create new theater works. Powerhouse steadfastly supports both emerging and established artists.

Since its inception in 1985, Powerhouse has played a significant role in the development of hundreds of new plays, provided a home for a diverse group of artists free from critical and commercial pressures, and established itself as a vital cultural institution for the Hudson Valley, the New York metropolitan area, and the surrounding region.

ABOUT NEW YORK STAGE AND FILM

Founded in 1985 by Producing Directors Mark Linn-Baker, Max Mayer and Leslie Urdang, and now under the leadership of Artistic Director Johanna Pfaelzer, New York Stage and Film is a not-for-profit company dedicated to the development and production of new works for theater and film.

ABOUT VASSAR COLLEGE

Vassar College is a highly selective, coeducational, independent, residential, liberal arts college founded in 1861. Consistently ranked as one of the country’s best liberal arts colleges, Vassar is renowned for its long history of curricular innovation, and for the natural and architectural beauty of its campus. Through more than 1,000 courses, the curriculum ranges from Anthropology to Cognitive Sciences to Urban Studies. More than 50 academic departments and degree programs encompass the arts, foreign languages, natural sciences, and social services.

Posted by Office of Communications Wednesday, June 18, 2008