During the month of April, 2008, students who live in Cushing, Davison, Jewett, Josselyn, Lathrop, Noyes, Raymond and Strong will be competing to reduce their electricity consumption.
While the main objective of the challenge is to reduce the use of electricity in the res halls, there will also be an educative element in which the res hall students will be given information about how they can reduce their energy use (see list below for examples).
There will be an "award ceremony" in early May for the winning dorm, which will include a local foods dinner and a donation to the house team budget, presented by Cappy, B&G, and the Sustainability Committee.
The challenge will complement the Vassar Carbon Reduction Plan that the Sustainability Committee will present to the president and the college in May.
How does your dorm rank?
Second Week Update
Followed by Joss, Cushing and Jewett for biggest % change in kW demand.
|Rank||House||April 8-15 (kW)||Change (W/person)||$$$ Saved|
|All Dorms||272.9||-6.42||$763.12 Saved|
Dorm Energy Use Pre-challenge
|House||Peak kW||Avg kW||kWh
Ways to Reduce Electricity Use
- Turn off lights when you leave your room.
- Open your shades to use more natural "day" lighting in place of electric lamps
- Turn off computers overnight and when not in use.
- Turn down your refrigerator a degree or two.
- Switch in CFL light bulbs (available for free from Reslife).
- Use less dryer time by combining loads and air drying.
- Unplug chargers, computers, TVs, VCRs, video game systems, computers, printers and when not in use to stop "phantom" energy flow.
- Turn on automatic sleep / hibernation mode on your computer
- Reduce overall use of electronic devices:
- Unplug unnecessary electronics like decorative Christmas tree lights.
- Go outside instead of watching TV or playing video games (after all Spring is on its way!).
- Get your friend to play their acoustic guitar instead of listening to music through a computer/iPod and speakers.
Sponsored by the College Committee on Sustainability
Email Libby (email@example.com) for details