News

Twenty-third annual Iyoya exhibit to celebrate local children’s art, and will conclude on Vassar's “I Won’t Grow Up Day.” Sunday March 30 through Saturday April 5, 2008

POUGHKEEPSIE, NY – More than 300 works of art by local nursery and elementary school age students will be on display in "A Celebration of Children’s Art”, Vassar College’s twenty-third annual John Iyoya Children’s Art Show, from Sunday March 30 through Saturday April 5 in the James W. Palmer Gallery.  The exhibit is sponsored by The exhibit’s namesake, John Iyoya, was a former Vassar student known for his creativity and love of children.

On the final day of the exhibition, April 5, from noon-4:00pm, Vassar will also hold its twenty-eighth annual “I Won’t Grow Up Day," an afternoon of free activities for local families, including arts and crafts, games, a bouncy castle, an a cappella concert, circus performances by Vassar's "Barefoot Monkeys," educational displays, and more. "I Won't Grow Up Day" is presented by the Vassar student group T.O.N.C.A. (Together Opposing Neglect and Child Abuse), to raise awareness about child abuse and raise money for Poughkeepsie's Child Abuse Prevention Center.

Sponsored by Vassar's department of education, the 2008 John Iyoya Children’s Art Show will include student artwork from Noxon Road Elementary School, Overlook Primary School, Arthur S. May Elementary School, Morse Magnet Elementary, Warring Magnet Academy, Hagan Elementary, W.W. Smith Humanities Magnet School, Wimpfheimer Nursery School of Vassar College, as well as by local homeschoolers.

Both "A Celebration of Children’s Art” and "I Won't Grow Up Day will be held in the College Center of Main Building, and are free and open to the public.  For Palmer Gallery hours, or to arrange accommodations for people with disabilities, call Cathy Jennings in the Office of Campus Activities at (845) 437-5370. Without sufficient notice, appropriate space and/or assistance may not be available.

Vassar College is a highly selective, coeducational, independent, residential, liberal arts college founded in 1861.

Posted by Office of Communications Tuesday, March 18, 2008