News

This site is no longer updated.

Current Vassar news can be found at www.vassar.edu/news; otherwise you can browse recent archived news items.

Students and alumnae/i work to Mind the Gap. Thursday, February 7, 2008

On Thursday, February 7, 2008, Vassar will host the first annual Mind the Gap Day to call attention to the point in the academic year when revenue from tuition, room, and board no longer covers the cost of educating each student at the college. For the rest of the academic year, the day-to-day operation of the campus – everything from paying faculty to teach, to shoveling the sidewalks – is possible in large part because of gifts to the college from alumnae/i, parents, and friends of Vassar, past and present.

As part of Mind the Gap Day, approximately 50 Vassar alumnae/i and volunteers will return to campus to experience firsthand the results of their giving. Together with current Vassar students, they will attend classes, explore the campus, and hear an address by Laurie Schwab Zabin '46, Alumnae and Alumni of Vassar College's (AAVC) 2008 Distinguished Achievement Award winner.

Mind the Gap Day is organized by the Council for Alumnae/i-Student Advancement (CASA), a coalition designed to increase communication between AAVC, the Development Office, the Office of Career Development, and the student body. CASA seeks to raise awareness of the short- and long-term goals of AAVC, Development, Career Development, Student Affairs, and the college, and provide a continuum between life as a student and life as an alumna/us. Through programming initiatives geared toward the student body, it also works to promote a culture of philanthropy on campus.

For more information about Mind the Gap Day, contact Susan F. Sheehan.

Posted by Office of Communications Wednesday, February 6, 2008